Thursday, February 20, 2014

Valentines Day

I probably say this on every Valentine's Day post but I just love Valentines Day. It's right up there at the top with Christmas for me. Just a simple, special occasion to show love. 


This February I challenged myself to not buy anything processed. Although we don't do a lot of processed foods, we do do some convenience foods and it's been a good challenge that I am loving and daring myself to continue through March...But that's another post. 

But back to Valentine's Day it can completely still be wonderful without anything processed.
We got the kids socks and made them special Valentines that they woke up to.

I also added a new tradition this year with this Ashmore Family Love Journal. All month of February we are writing love notes to each other in this book and then hiding it under the persons pillow. It's been a fun way to get the kids recognizing and sharing how much they love their family members. Really sweet notes and all in one book. I will put it away with the decorations at the end of the month and bring it out again next year. 

The littlest Valentine eating his special breakfast treat of strawberries.


I love a festive table. Strawberries, waffles, lots of love and hearts and pink and red.

  
We did dark chocolate covered bacon this year. Um, good! Really, really good. I found the inspiration here but modified the chocolate because we like it really dark. 
 Braxton loved it.

 And Adelle was a given!

 Emmett not so much so I got his. He ate the half without the chocolate.


After the kids went to school and Jeff went to work Emmett and I got busy making treats. We knew Carson and Kate would be coming and spending the night and we would want something yummy and special. I had some pretzels in the cupboard from Christmas when we make our traditional nuts and bolts mix. So, although they are processed I didn't buy them this month ;) Anyway we dipped the ends in our homemade chocolate and spelt out Happy Valentines Day. Then we made homemade chocolates with macadamia nuts and walnuts.

My mom came over that morning with Carson and Kate and brought us a yummy lunch. We hung out and even grabbed the kids early from school just because.
The kids were excited to show us all their goods from the Valentines exchange at school.  

Jeff came home after work and got the burgers ready while I was getting Adelle from dance class. When I got home dinner was half done and there was a single red rose from my Valentine. 
The kids played hard with cousins and were even anxious to go to bed and have Braxton read to them.


Jeff and I watched Pride and Prejudice (we had never seen it) that night when the kids went to bed. Actually, Jeff watched it and I fell asleep. It was a good, busy, happy day.

1 comment:

Sarahbelle said...

You really are incredible, chocolate bacon! I think I may be with Emmett on this one, i love them separate! You are a family so full of love, and you share it and spread it everywhere!