Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Best Friends Wedding


Don’t you just love that movie. Julia Roberts is one of my favorites and I just love her in that movie!
A couple weeks ago we got the privilege of going down and being part of Shelby and Jeff’s wedding in Oregon. It was such a fun, fun weekend and one that we had all been anxiously awaiting!
DSC07453DSC07454DSC07456
Bride to be getting ready. Wedding Hall. Groom to be being chill and hanging out.
DSC07457DSC07460DSC07461
Dessert table getting set up. Erin primping. Shelby being pampered with lunch and getting her hair curled.

DSC07462DSC07463DSC07464DSC07466
Steph doing her momma’s makeup. Me curing Adelle’s hair. Adelle getting her nails painted. Gage getting his first look at the almost ready bride.
DSC07467DSC07468DSC07469DSC07470
Madison just after getting her hair done. The lovely bride. Beautiful Bride and her beautiful mom. Shelby and me!
DSC07471DSC07472DSC07474DSC07475
Shelby and Me. Steph (Shelby’s sister), Shelby and Jane. Shelby with her mom and dad. Both of Shelby’s dear Grandma’s.
photo (19)photo (20)photo
The bride and bridesmaids. Friends shot: Andrea, Mindi, Shelby, Erin. Adelle in action with baby Harper in the back with daddy’s help.
So Shelby turned out to be wedding planner extraordinaire. She had everything organized to the tee and it was so enjoyable to be a part of.
The rehearsal was at 6:00pm Friday night and that is exactly what time we pulled into the parking lot of the lodge where the wedding was held. We left from our house that morning but got stuck for a couple hours in Portland traffic. Thankfully we made it just in time so that Adelle and I could practice walking down the aisle.
Adelle was a pro. She was the flower girl champion and the helper to the other little flower girls. Adelle was all about it. She loved the dress, the shoes, the basket, getting her nails painted… she loved it all. Shelby was so good too and had a little flower girl gift for all the flower girls complete with stick on earings, Adelle’s favorite!
After rehearsal we all went back to Shelby and Jeff’s where we had pizza and hung out. People dispersed gradually except for us. We stayed with them for the weekend which was totally perfect because we didn’t have to get a hotel, and we could take care of Madison while they were doing wedding things. The kids basically had a slumber party in Madison’s room all weekend. They were thrilled. Gage slept with Jeff and I in the spare bedroom and we all slept like logs.
The next day was THE BIG DAY. We got up and Shelby and Jeff headed straight over to the lodge, which was seriously like 3 blocks from their house. I got the kids breakfast ready and then went over to meet them.  My Jeff , not to be confused with Shelby’s Jeff, stayed at the house with all of our kids and played super dad. He napped Gage and got the boys ready.
Over at the lodge we all worked like little happy elves getting everything in order. Shelby’s friends from work were there too setting up desserts, doing her hair, makeup, lighting candles… I was busily frosting the 200 pumpkin cupcakes I had made for the reception. The reason I don’t have any pictures of Mindi getting ready is probably because she was getting me ready most of the time. Mindi curled my hair and did my makeup. I have no problem asking my friends for help where it’s needed ;)
The kids rode bikes around and around the lodge all day. We had lunch there, hung out, got ready, took pictures. The weather was 70 degrees and sunny. It was seriously the best day we have had in a long time. I love being surrounded by good people and there was so much joy in the air all day long.
The ceremony was just perfect. It was decorated beautiful. The officiator had this really sweet accent and was really kind.  Everything was so, so, good and I couldn’t have been happier for my special friend.
The reception that followed was super fun too. Lots of good food, dancing, and even the toast that I got to give went better than I thought and I was able to make it through without blubbering the whole time. The kids danced like little rock stars. Emmett even showed everyone his break dancing moves while we all circled around. Adelle got her groove on and Braxton was mostly standing on the side lines embarrassed, typical.
That night after all the festivities had died down we took Madison home to her house and we stayed the night there with her so that Jeff and Shelby could stay in a hotel on their wedding night. The next morning when they returned we hit the road for home.
I am so happy for my friend. Shelby is such a sweet, fun, person and someone who has continued to be such a strength of a friend. I am excited to be in the same stage of life as her again and for our families to grow old together.
As a mother of a daughter now I can only hope that my little girl will find and make special, life long friendships that will help to sustain her through her years. There is nothing quite like having a friend who has known you since you were little. Who has been a teenager with you. And who now is a wife and a mother right along side of you.
I talked to Shelby this past weekend. She and Jeff had just returned from their honeymoon to Hawaii. Lucky!! We talked about numerous things including how naïve our parents were when we were younger :0 lol.
Wedding Pictures August 2003 080
And just because you all know that I like comparison photos. Here’s a blast from the past for you. My wedding August 2003!

No comments: