Tuesday, December 11, 2012

the friendly ghost of Christmas past














One is at school
Two are asleep
One is on my lap

I was trying to get my Christmas cards addressed (finally) but that isn't happening very smoothly. I couldn't help but reminisce while I was addressing the cards. I love sending cards. It always makes me remember Christmases past. The people, the places, the good times. Today is the same.

In no particular order here are some things that come to mind.

I remember growing up and going to my Grandparents old house for Christmas Eve. The Christmas lights lit up the whole street and I remember thinking it was the most beautifully decorated home in the whole world. Santa was always there too.

I remember the year I recognized my older cousin, Travis, was dressed up as Santa.

I remember the year we had Christmas Eve in the lounge that my Aunt and Uncle owned and for dessert we all got to go down to the pie case and choose whatever pie we wanted. Heaven!

I remember the magic show and generous gifts we would get at my dad's company party.

I remember the Christmas we got a Nintendo and the day was spent in my parents room, on their waterbed playing Mario Bros and Duck Hunt.

I remember the year my sister and I got neon, tie-dyed bean bag chairs. Score!! We loved those ugly things.

I remember the year my family got a computer! Big ol' huge computer. (am I old??)

I remember the year when we went down to Everett and saw "The Forgotten Carols" live. I remember holding hands with my family and singing, "we will be together, forever, someday."

I remember the year I took all my moms pictures off the walls, wrapped them in Christmas paper, and re-hung them. Our home was really festive that year!

I remember always volunteering to wrap the presents. I still love doing that!!

I remember the year my little brothers got their motorcycle bikes.

I remember going to the mountains one year and cutting down our Christmas tree.
Then there was the year my dad and uncle brian rode in the truck bed and held the trees while someone drove us home. (????)

I remember the year we dressed my brothers up as girls and named them Candy and Crystal.

I remember the year my friend Mindi and I put the stockings on our feet and danced around foolishly to country Christmas songs. As if that wasn't enough we video taped ourselves doing this.

I remember the year I moved out with friends and we combined our efforts to decorate our little house.

I remember all the Christmas seasons that I worked in the restaurant and did banquets galore. Those were the big buck days ;)

I remember the year I came home from school in Hawaii for Christmas and brought my mom a moo moo, which she loved.

I remember growing up and making homemade goodies and delivering them to all of our family, while singing carols.

I remember the 1st Christmas Jeff and I were married and we were in Utah by ourselves. We drove my friend to the airport on Christmas day in an awful snow storm. I think we ate chili from the can for dinner.

I remember the year my friend and I made red glitter balls, galore. I still have mine on our tree.

I remember the year our furnace went out and Jeff and I woke up to a 40 degree house and two little cold babes.

I remember the Christmas we talked to my brother Brent in Spain on his mission and he sang, "Feliz Navidad."

I remember the yummy smoked salmon my uncle Ricky always caught, smoked, and gave us for Christmas.

I remember the year we visited Jeff's family in Arizona for Christmas and while walking out of the Walmart parking lot his sister Gabe asked me when we were going to have babies. (we conceived Brax the next month, fyi lol).

That was the year the boys did the polar dip too;)

I remember the Christmas Jeff's brother Andrew and Rachel got married and Braxton kindof learned to walk.

I remember one of those Arizona Christmases we went to the Mesa Temple and saw the beautiful lights and heard a group sing Christmas songs.

I remember the year we did the slip n' slide in Arizona.

I remember the goodies Aunt Angela still brings. My favorite are the pecan tasies and Nanimo bars.

I remember the year Emmett was rushed to the ER with a door smashed finger, for stitches.

I remember the year we were all in Arizona and how beautiful all the stockings looked hanging from my in-laws staircase. I think there were 14 and they were so beautiful. I wish I had a picture.

I remember the year Jeff and I put Braxton to bed and then went outside our home and got into a snowball fight and made snow angels in the dark.

I remember the year my children and I delivered cookies to our neighbors, one of which was blind and I remember the look of gratitude on her face.

I remember the Christmas my whole family went down to the Church and played basketball in the gym.

I remember the Christmas we didn't have any money and my friend, Andrea, made me and Jeff and all of our children homemade gifts.

I remember the year I made bread for everyone for Christmas presents. It was a phase, the bread making.

.... there is more but that's all I've got for now.




4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love these memories... I may be inspired to make my own list. Thanks so much for the phone call. I really needed it! You are a great friend and I am blessed by you!

Doneva said...

oh my you make me CRY everytime I read your blog and yea I like to cry,, WHAT great memories, so grateful for the memories you are making wiht your sweet family. Love you mom

Batten Rouge said...

You are so amazing. I love that picture of Brax & Adelle in front of the tree, the sun shining on them in their little jammies...so sweet
Xoxo

Unknown said...

Too fun to see and read all your memories!! Love your little family, xo mindi