Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mid March

IMG_4370

At the beginning of the month when Jeff was at the Home Show a friend and I took her 2 kids and my 4 to the Burlington Children’s Museum. I told Jeff if you ever want to feel really capable and really inadequate all at once, go to the children’s museum with 4 kids at different ages and with different interests. It was nuts! The kids were great but they all wanted to be at a different place at the same time. I ended up trusting in the staff and the facility and not really monitoring any of them that well. At one point even I had to go potty so bad I put Braxton in charge of Gage in the sandbox and took myself on a potty break.  It was super fun though and I know I say it a lot but I really love having my big kids around to do fun things with. It had been a while since we had done something like this all together and they all loved it.

IMG_4375

Also in the beginning of the month I got to go on a field trip with Adelle’s class to the Mt. Baker Theatre for a learning series production of Stewart Little. Braxton’s class also attended the same field trip so we were there at the same time but amist all the students we only were able to wave at Brax from a distance. How cute are these kids though; wearing matching clothes for the field trip. All on their own they decided that morning to wear the same outfit for the fieldtrip. Cracked me up when I saw them in the bathroom admiring their matchiness in the mirror. Sometimes they are so much like their father ; wink wink.

IMG_4378 IMG_4381IMG_4382IMG_4383IMG_4392IMG_4393

Braxton finished off his wrestling season the second weekend in March. He had a rough beginning of the season and set a goal for himself to win one match. He worked so hard. He did pushups almost every day. Toughed out a lot of practices. Took his dad on many times at home and worked really hard mentally as well. He was very diligent and I was proud of him for his effort. This last match was freestyle which was different than the rest of the season and not in his defense, but regardless, he didn’t win a match. He didn’t reach his goal but he did so good and compared to his 2 seconds on the mat in the beginning of the season, he held on this time for at least a minute and we were really proud of him. It was pretty amazing to see the improvement from the season. Aunt Angela was so kind and encouraging to him all season and proudly wore her sign that he had made for her to hold. We are so blessed with such supporting family who love our kids so much.

IMG_4400

Gage has grown quite fond of sitting on the counter now while I am in the kitchen. Here he is helping himself to the coconut oil I was cooking with.

IMG_4403IMG_4413

Jeff being his normal “super dad” self!

IMG_4420IMG_4421IMG_4422

Last week when our playdate got postponed and the little boy I watch was sick and stayed home, I decided to take the freedom and run with it. After we dropped off big kids at school Emmett, Gage and I headed into Wee Ones to look around. I let Emmett pick out a new shirt because he really wanted too and he and Gage played in the toy area while I browsed. Then when it had warmed up a bit we went down to the water to the touch tank and explored the pools to find shrimp, fish, crabs, and octopus. The boys were enthralled.  Emmett with the sea life and Gage just to splash in the water. It was super fun and sporadic. My mom met us down there and then took us to Kuri Kuri for sushi. It was so delicious. I know I can always call my mom around lunch and ensure me and the kids a special meal. So thankful for that. Emmett rocked the chop sticks!!

IMG_4429IMG_4430IMG_4431IMG_4449IMG_4450IMG_4451IMG_4455IMG_4456IMG_4457IMG_4458IMG_4461IMG_4463

Today I am making bagels for the second time since last week. These pictures I took the first round and they were so successful that my kids told me they don’t want me to buy bagels anymore. Score. I don’t buy bagels often because I think they are expensive but I found this recipe that incorporates my sourdough starter and they were so, so, good! Plus I figured that it cost me only $7 dollars for 17 bagels, and the bagels that I buy are almost $6 a bag for 4!! Yes, 4! Last week when I made them the kids gobbled them and we gifted a bunch. This time I am hoping to freeze some. The recipe is here if you are interested but you do need a sourdough starter.

The flavors we made last week were cinnamon raisin, raspberry, sesame seed, plain sourdough, and everything (onion, garlic, chia seed, sesame seed, sunflower seed).

IMG_4452

Funny story from last week. The bagels were an all day process, not constant but a little here and a little there. In between the boys and I were outside playing soccer, picnicing, jumping on the trampoline….Then when the girl that lives behind the fence came out I took advantage of the boys being distracted talking with her and I came in to make the bagels without my helpers. Only then to look out my kitchen window and see little Emmett’s bare bum taking care of his business in front of the neighbor girl. Oh no! I went out and reminded him about being modest and how we don’t need to show anyone else our *#@$* and he looked at me innocently and goes, “right.” Like in the tone of “duh” like he knew, but forgot or something. I don’t know but I was embarrassed and thankful that the neighbor girl has brothers and neither her nor her mom were the least bit offended.

IMG_447213223391325_b42ed4e132_bIMG952014031595105204

Then this past Saturday I ran the Run O The Green 5k downtown Bellingham. My friend Christen is always organizing us to do fun things and she initiated everyone signing up. I have been running regularly with some other friends in the mornings and was excited to actually compete. I didn’t run my hardest but now that I have done it I have totally seen my competitive edge come to life and I am excited to run another race and really give it my all and see how I can do. This was more of a fun run with some fun girls! I can see how this could get really addicting though!! I was seriously smiling the whole time I was running.

In other news our backyard is a muddy hole thanks to all the rain we’ve been getting. This makes for dirty kids most days.

The baby chicks have started laying eggs! Horray! Hopefully we can stop buying eggs to supplement our own supply!!

My washing machine is leaking water everywhere. Not very fun and of course it couldn’t have happened during Jeff’s slow season.

IMG_4469

My sister had this sweet baby boy on Friday and I cannot wait to get my hands on him this coming weekend!!

Baseball started today for Brax which means every week night is now filled. Mondays are always family night. Tuesdays and Thursdays Brax has baseball. Wednesday Brax has cub scouts and Friday Adelle has dance. I am excited for this new season though. The longer days are already paying off and we are enjoying playing outside until later. Here’s to spring!

No comments: