Tuesday, April 5, 2016

We bought a Tractor

"Come on," he says after we finished lunch one Thursday. "Where are we going?" I ask. "To get our tractor!" "But Gage is asleep." "That's okay, they are delivering it!!" 
"We have to take a picture." "For what?" "To document the day we got the tractor. I always want to remember how happy you were about this tractor!"

Since we started our farm it's become apparent that we really need a tractor. Like, really. 
Jeff has been tractor shopping for a while, just browsing actually but getting a feel for what he liked and what all we would need. There is so much you can do once you have a tractor. Now we just need more daylight and stamina to do all we want to do!


We drove the truck down to The Diner where we thought it was being delivered but we ended up turning around and the semi brought it all the way back to our place for us.





Jeff made sure we bought all the bells and whistles too. For tilling, for plowing, for lifting, mowing...



When Gage woke up from his nap he was excited about the tractor too and he got to take the first ride on it with his daddy. They went right to work on the driveway. 


Later when Jeff was seeing how it worked in the wet pasture he got the tractor stuck! On the first day of owning it!!


Then one Saturday I learned how to drive the tractor and got to act as Jeff's ladder while he worked on one of the mobile chicken coops. I drove, backed up, and lifted and lowered him to be able to reach his work area.
I love working with my husband. I have always been so in love with how handy he is. He just really knows stuff and he is good at improvising on the job. And when he tells me things, like how impressed he was with how well I operated the tractor, it makes me feel like the luckiest lady. Not only does my husband let me drive his tractor but he stands on it while I do and he thinks I do a really good job at it.


This was my view from the drivers seat. 


Men are so cute. They are a lot like women in some ways. Like when women get a new pair of shoes they want to show all their friends and wear them out and their friends want to borrow them....
Come to find out, guys are the same way when it comes to heavy machinery. A couple weeks after we got the tractor my dad is asking Jeff if he can use it and the next thing I know my dad is "that guy" that is driving the tractor down the county road to his house to spread his bark. And just grinning ear to ear the whole time.

I don't think there is anything sexy about a tractor but I sure do love the man whose tractor it is.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love hearing about all your farming adventures!! Someday I am going to come visit Ashmore Acres and see everything you and jeff have accomplished together.

Heidi Sutton said...

Well done on the tractor purchase, indeed you got all the bells and whistles to go along with it. You will get so much more done now that you can lift great loads with great ease. Especially when it comes to construction. I love the red color well done and enjoy your new toy, keep keeping us in the loop.

Heidi Sutton @ Ag Source Magazine